Planning Reviews

Planning oversees the Town’s land use and development activities, including the review of proposed general plan amendments, rezoning, land use permits, development plans, and subdivisions. 

Submit an Application Online

PlanningThe common planning applications are:

Development Plan

Development Plan approval is required for all office, commercial, industrial, multi-family residential development, new home construction in subdivisions, some vacant residential parcels, and development within scenic hillside and major ridgeline areas in Danville.

General Plan Amendment

A General Plan Amendment include requests to change the land use designation of a parcel to a different land use (i.e. office to commercial, low density residential to higher density residential).

Land Use Permit

A Land Use Permit allows the Town to consider special uses which may be essential or desirable to a particular community, but which are not allowed as a matter of right within a zoning district, but may be allowed on a case-by-case basis if found to be appropriate for the neighborhood in which it is requested. A land use permit can provide flexibility within a zoning ordinance.

Minor Subdivision

A Minor Subdivision consists of a proposal to divide a parcel into four or fewer parcels. A minor subdivision of any parcel must be consistent with the Town’s 2030 General Plan and Zoning Ordinance and all other applicable guidelines for the subject parcel.

Major Subdivision

A Major Subdivision consist of a proposal to divide a parcel into five or more parcels. Major subdivisions of any parcel must be consistent with the Town’s 2030 General Plan and Zoning Ordinance and all other applicable guidelines for the subject parcel.

Planned Unit Development

A Planned Unit Development involves a rezoning of a parcel to accommodate a site-specific project. Essentially, when a development is approved under a P-1 rezone, it must be built as approved for the specific parcel. The new P-1 zoning designation and associated conditions of approval are the governing development standards for that project.


Rezoning is a request to modify a property’s existing zoning classification to a different one. The Town’s Zoning map provides a visual depiction of the zoning districts for all properties in Danville. The Town’s Zoning Ordinance control both land uses and development standards for all of the Town’s zoning districts.

Sign Permit

A Sign Permit is issued to assure attractive and architecturally compatible signing throughout Danville’s commercial areas and to maintain conformance with the Town’s Sign Control Ordinance. For Temporary/Promotional Signage, please see the Temporary Sign Requirements (PDF) and Temporary Signs Brochure (PDF).

Tree Removal Permit

A Tree Removal Permit is required to remove a tree within the Town boundaries, which is listed as a protected tree within the Town’s Tree Preservation Ordinance.


A Variance is a limited exception to the usual requirements of local zoning. When the Town is presented with a development proposal on an unusual piece of property, the variance procedure can lend some flexibility to the usual standards of the applicable zoning ordinance.