Grading Permit

A grading permit is required for work on private property or related to grading, paving, or clearing activities as outlined in the Chapter XIX of the Town of Danville Municipal Code.

When a Grading Permit Needed

  • Moving more than 100 cubic yards of material
  • Construction of fill to support a structure
  • Any fill placed on a slope having a natural grade more than five to one (five horizontal to one vertical)
  • Any cut or fill slope left steeper than three to one (three horizontal to one vertical)
  • Any cut or fill greater than three feet at its deepest point measured vertically

When a Grading Permit Not Required

  • An excavation for basements and footing of a building, retaining wall, swimming pool or other structures authorized by a valid building permit
  • Weed abatement - Erosion control measures may be required if this creates adverse runoff potential and siltation
  • Excavations that results in the movement of less than 100 cubic yards of material


If it is determined that you need a permit you must submit the following information:

  1. A Grading Permit application signed by the applicant
  2. Estimated cost of performing the work and the volume of cut and fill needed
  3. Four copies of a Grading Plan, prepared by a Registered Civil Engineer
  4. In some cases a Geotechnical (soils) report and Engineering Geology Report prepared by a Certified Engineering Geologist with experience in this area. (Required for all projects in hillside areas) Check with the grading inspector if you are unsure.

At this point the Grading Permit fee is calculated. Once the fees have been paid the plans will be Plan Checked (third party review) and, if necessary, a red marked set will be returned to you for corrections. If the plans require revisions, resubmit four sets of the corrected plans. Once the plans have been approved the Grading Permit will be issued and you can start digging.

Additional Information

If you are still unsure if you need a Grading Permit please contact the Town Grading Inspector at 925-314-3353.