Find The Fun in Danville
Join the fun by participating in the very first Danville Scarecrow Stroll. The scarecrow stroll is a new way for residents to rediscover their love for Danville businesses this fall. Participating businesses will receive a scarecrow kit and guidelines to construct and decorate a scarecrow to display in front of their business from October 19 to November 30. These festive figures can be decorated to look like the business owner, show off their fall spirit, or designed like a traditional scarecrow.
Residents will be encouraged to stroll Danville and find their favorite scarecrow. Scarecrows will be entered into a competition for two different categories: “People’s Choice” and “Town Council” choice. Voting begins October 30th and concludes on November 28th. Winners will be announced on November 30th.
Fill out the application provided in the link below. For questions, please contact Lindsay Gallardo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comic book Day - September 25th!
The town of Danville Presents - Comic Book Day!
Pull out your capes, hide your identity and rise to the occasion!
Some of Gotham's most notorious villains have escaped and we need your help to catch them!
On September 25th help Batman Solve the Riddler's clues by participating in a scavenger hunt around Danville. Clues will be posted on Facebook & Instagram on Friday!
After a long day of solving clues, take a break at the Drive In Movie featuring - Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse.
Location: Community Presbyterian Church Parking Lot - 222 W. El Pintado, Danville
Time: 7:00 PM
Reserve your spot online or call (925) 314-3400.
Join Agents of Discovery, and prepare to explore the Bay Area like never before. To get started, download the FREE game to your mobile device. After downloading the app, choose the Mission you'd like to play. This game will help you enjoy new educational experiences through use of hints and clues from your surroundings to solve mysteries of nature, culture, and technology. Some of the more remote Missions can even be completed from home! Join us in the use of this augmented reality application in enhancing your educational experience in Danville parks.
arts and rec on the Go
Did you know that the Town of Danville Recreation, Arts, and Community Services offers a free recreation program throughout the Town of Danville’s amazing parks for children ages 3-12 years old? This program has now been running for over 2 years and has been active in over seven different parks in Danville. The Town of Danville Mobile Recreation van will continue to visit neighborhood parks throughout the year and staff will provide all the materials and equipment for a couple of hours of fun. The Arts and Recreation activities will vary depending on the park and time of year.
The park sites and times are announced via Facebook and Instagram prior to the event a couple of days in advance. Some of the activities that have taken place during this program are frisbee golf, scavenger hunts, obstacle course, arts and crafts and much more. Arts & Rec on the Go is intended to be a spontaneous event for our neighborhood parks. Follow us on Facebook at townofdanvilleca and Instagram @danvilleparksca for upcoming dates and locations. The Town will hold monthly mobile recreation events throughout the year. For more information, contact the Danville Community Center at (925) 314-3400.
Moonlight Movie Crafts
- Cool Runnings - Make Your Own Bobsleigh Craft
- Cool Runnings - Glowing Tealight Olympic Torch Craft
- Toy Story 4 - Forky Craft
- Toy Story 4 - Buzz Lightyear Floats Craft
- Captain America - Paper Plate Craft
- Captain America - Jello Treats Craft
- Moana - Heart of Te Fiti Rock craft
- Moana - I’m So Shiny Crab craft
- Coloring page activity book from our friends at the Crayon Initiative!
- Lanyards with Leah
- Kids’ Night In - Wreck-it-Ralph - A guide to creating a movie night for the whole family with links, crafts, foods and more!
- Colander Art
Chalk your Walk Challenge: Use chalk to decorate your sidewalk with encouraging words and designs!
One of our homegrown young adults, Nina Sandelin Umont, who grew up in Danville and went through Green Valley Elementary, Los Cerros Middle School, and Monte Vista High School, and is now living in Alamo wants to share her passion for calligraphy and give everyone a free copy of her self-help book ’Modern Calligraphy - everything you need to know’. While we have time at home and are looking for new things to do, go to The Sandelin Designs Guide to Modern Calligraphy digital book download https://www.sandelindesigns.com/learn-engraving/the-sandelin-designs-guide-to-modern-calligraphy-digital-download. She is making her calligraphy workbook available for free online, in an effort to help people have a creative outlet and an activity to do with their families. Please enjoy and thank you Nina!
- Tai Chi with Terence Tang: Tiger Mountain Tai Chi Gong
- Rosalyn Lee guides us through some Mat Pilates we can do from home: Mat Pilates All Levels
- Felicia Viera’s Pilates instructional videos: Mat Pilates
- Calling all line dance enthusiasts! Reggie Kwan, our Dancercise Instructor at the Danville Senior Center, has put together a YouTube channel of line dances with great music to follow along with! Check out his latest video - Just Let Me Dance - Line Dance Demo
- I Can Do That theatre video: We're All In This Together
- Free Spotify Playlist to Broadway Music
- Singing Lesson with Danville Theatre Program Assistant, Celine Ricci: Lesson 1
- The History of Opera with Danville Theatre Program Assistant, Celine Ricci: History of Opera
- An encouraging message from the combined choirs at San Ramon Valley High School: Give Us Hope - Spreading Hope Through Music
- Animal Themed Work Out For Kids
- Kids Workout - Orange Theory Fitness
- Movement with Coach Becky - Orange Theory Fitness
- Line Dance Instructional Videos from our instructors, Minnie and Joyce! Line Dance and Waltz Line Dance
- Get moving with Skyhawks Sports: Skyhawks Sports Facebook Live: www.facebook.com/skyhawkscontracosta
Check out instructional videos from our Kidz Love Soccer crew! https://www.facebook.com/kidzlovesoccer
Bollywood with Kiran:
Yvonne is the Administrative Assistant at the Danville Senior Center and lucky for us, also a book and movie enthusiast! She will put together biweekly reading and viewing recommendations to help bring everyone together while we social distance. Check back for updates every other week.
Movie Selection for the Week:
Dan in Real Life (2007) (Comedy/Drama) Rated: (PG-13) 1.30 hrs.
Widower Dan Brown gives family advice in his column but struggles with raising his 3 daughters alone. After arriving at his parents for a family get together, their bickering
drives him to take refuge in the local bookstore, where he meets and swiftly falls for Marie, the woman of his dreams.
Starring: Steve Carrell, Juliette Binoche, Dane Cook, Emily Blunt
Director: Peter Hedges
Critic’s Choice: 6.7/10
Book Selection for the Week:
Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell
Ellie Mack was the perfect daughter. And then she was gone. Now, her mother Laurel Mack is trying to put her life back together. It’s been ten years since her daughter
disappeared, seven years since her marriage ended, and only months since the last clue in Ellie’s case was unearthed. So when she meets an unexpectedly charming man in a café, no one is more surprised than Laurel at how quickly their flirtation develops into something deeper. Before she knows it, she’s meeting Floyd’s daughters—and his youngest, Poppy, takes Laurel’s breath away. Because looking at Poppy is like looking at Ellie. And now, the unanswered questions she’s tried so hard to put to rest begin to haunt Laurel anew. Where did Ellie go?
Danville Book Club
September Book Suggestion:
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Online learning resources with California State Parks
Cookie Shimmy: Wash your face and hands first. Grab an Oreo cookie or a cookie about the same size. Place the cookie on your forehead. The goal is to move the cookie into your mouth without using your hands. Did you get it?
Cup Stack Challenge: If you have 10 plastic cups available, time yourself building a cup pyramid. You can build the tower with 4 cups on the bottom layer, then 3 cups, then 2 cups and 1 cup on top. How fast can you stack them and then bring them back down?
Defying Gravity: Take 3 balloons or scarves and throw them all in the air. Your goal is to keep all 3 items up in the air as long as possible. What was your best time?
- Nose Mover: Find a coffee table or a surface that is about 6-8 inches wide. Start with a line of cotton balls. How long does it take to push all 10 cotton balls across the surface?
- More National park virtual tours
- Learn more about the history of the San Ramon Valley: Museum of the San Ramon Valley