Bicycle Master Plan
TOWN-WIDE BICYCLE MASTER PLAN
Development of the Town's first Townwide Bicycle Master Plan (BMP) began in early 2020 and is nearing completion. The BMP provides a vision and comprehensive short and long-range plans focused on supporting and enhancing bicycle policies and infrastructure improvements within the Town. The Town Council will be considering approval of the Final Townwide Bicycle Master Plan at its upcoming regular meeting on July 6, 2021.
The complete Final BMP and a presentation summarizing the plan can be accessed through the following links:
- Evaluate existing conditions and identify the needs of all cyclists;
- Develop a short and long-range priority list of improvements that enhance bicycling safety;
- Provide policy recommendations to enhance and strengthen the goals and policies of the 2030 Town of Danville General Plan;
- Reinforce Danville’s importance as a regional destination by providing a bicycle network consistent with other local and regional plans; and
- Provide a mechanism to position the Town for grant opportunities.
The Town conducted extensive public outreach throughout 2020 and winter 2021. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, in-person public outreach events were not allowed. However, a series of virtual public workshops and "pop-up" events were held that provided multiple opportunities for the public to interact with staff and where in-depth input was provided to help develop the BMP. Additionally, a project website was launched that included an online interactive community input map that allowed the public to identify priority destinations for biking, routes they would like to see enhanced, and provide input and direction on new bicycle infrastructures projects.
All workshop materials and meeting summaries are available to view on the project website.
The Final Townwide Bicycle Master Plan is scheduled for consideration of adoption by the Danville Town Council at its upcoming meeting on Tuesday, July 6, 2021.