Active transportation is travel powered by human energy, including walking, biking, or rolling (rollerblading, riding a push scooter, skateboarding, or in a wheelchair). Active transportation as a great way to travel not only for recreational purposes, but also for day-to-day transportation needs.
Active transportation can provide many benefits to both individuals and the community and has been shown to:
1. Enhance the physical and mental health of individuals;
2. Provide additional mobility options for getting around independently;
3. Improve the neighborhood livability and community quality of life;
4. Lower the transportation costs for individuals, families, and communities; and
5. Help the community do it’s part in addressing a number of state and regional environmental challenges related to air, energy, noise, and water pollution.
Below is a map of Danville's bike routes, paths, lanes, and trails.