Married Web LogoCity Hall weddings are increasingly popular for a variety of reasons. Couples who do not practice any particular religion – or those blending religious backgrounds – often find that a civil marriage ceremony provides neutral ground for a memorable occasion that friends and family members can participate in and attend.

In California, City Clerks are authorized to perform civil marriage ceremonies throughout the State of California.  In Danville, you must make an appointment for the City Clerk to officiate at a wedding ceremony. Complete the online application (PDF) to secure a date and time. Contact the Danville City Clerk at 925-314-3401 or if you have questions.

City Clerk Officiant for Weddings

Three simple steps to the big day:

  1. Obtain marriage license from Contra Costa County
  2. Complete online application
  3. Arrive at 500 La Gonda Way at your scheduled date and time


The City Clerk performs small civil wedding ceremonies on Tuesday and Thursday, by appointment only.  You’re required to make a reservation for the ceremony no more than 90 days in advance and are allowed to bring up to 10 guests. The ceremony lasts approximately 10 minutes.  The current fee for use of City Hall is listed on the online application.


There are two options for tying the knot at the Danville Town Offices.  Civil marriage ceremonies of 10 or fewer people can be enjoyed either (1) indoors in the bright open rotunda, or (2) outdoors on the patio entrance that faces El Cerro Boulevard, with the building as a backdrop.

What to Bring:  

Marriage license, photo identification, witness.

What Not to Bring:  

Chairs, food or drinks, amplified sound (soft acoustic music is allowed).

Marriage License:

A marriage license must be obtained through the Contra Costa County Office of the Clerk-Recorder prior to having a ceremony. A license may be purchased at the Contra Costa County Clerk-Recorder’s Office, 555 Escobar Street, Martinez. The license issued at the time of appearance is valid for 90 days. If you have questions regarding obtaining a marriage license, call (925) 335-7900. The requirements to obtain a marriage license can be found on the County website:

Marriage License and Ceremony Information - Contra Costa County


One witness to the marriage ceremony is required to sign the license.  There is no age requirement for witnesses, as long as the witness understands what they’re signing, and is able to sign their name.


After saying “I do,” consider enjoying a reception and photos at one of Danville’s beautiful parks, offering gorgeous backdrops for photos.  For information on reserving Hap Magee Ranch Park, Osage Station Park or Oak Hill Park, email or call (925)314-3405.

Married at Town Office