The rain is back in the forecast and Danville PD wants you to remember some important Wet Weather Driving Tips:
- Slow down and increase your following distance in wet weather.
- Stay toward the middle lanes because water tends to pool in the outside lanes.
- Be more alert and watch for brake lights in front of you.
- If possible, avoid using your brakes and instead, take your foot off the accelerator to slow down.
- Keep your headlights on in light rain and in gloomy, foggy, or overcast conditions to help you see the road and help other drivers see you.
- "Hydroplaning" happens when heavy rain and fast speeds lead to your vehicle riding on top of a thin layer of water, a dangerous situation that can lead to uncontrolled skidding or drifting out of the lane. If you find yourself hydroplaning or skidding:
- Do not brake or turn suddenly. Ease your foot off the gas until the vehicle slows and you can feel traction on the road again
- Turn your steering wheel in the direction of the skid. As you recover control, gently straighten the wheels.
- If you need to brake, do it gently with light pumping action. If your vehicle has anti-lock brakes, you may brake normally.
Stay safe out there!