Accessory Dwelling Units - ADUs
ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS:
WHAT IS AN ADU?
ADUs have been an effective way of incorporating smaller living units into the fabric of the community that are affordable to a wider range of income levels, including elderly family members.
CHANGES IN STATE LAW
Due to the housing shortage in California, the State Legislature has passed significant housing related laws in the past three years. In 2019, the legislature passed over 20 bills intended to fast-track housing production – including accessory dwelling units (ADUs).
Updates to State Law expands areas and conditions under which ADUs can be built. The ADU Handout reflects the regulations permitted by new state law, effective January 1, 2020. Be advised that this information is subject to change, as state guidelines and interpretations are typically issued after the enactment of new law.
OBTAINING A PERMIT
For ADU plans designed by a licensed professional or designer, please see Building’s Submittal Requirements for more information on what items need to be provided to obtain a permit.
GARDEN COTTAGE PROGRAM
|Garden Cottage Program|
|Steps to build an ADU with the Garden Cottage Program:||Provided by the Garden Cottage Program||Responsibility of the Homeowner|
Finding and hiring a Designer/Architect to provide:
|Obtain Architectural Plans||✔|
Downloadable pre-designed plans
|Choose and print/download appropriate plans|
|Obtain Structural Plans|
|Obtain Title 24 Energy Forms|
|Finding and hiring a Contractor to build the ADU & purchasing of materials|
|Submitting all required documents to apply for a permit||Expedited Review over the Counter*||✔|
|Payment of Permit Fees||Reduced Fees*||✔|
|Payment of Plan Check Fees||Reduced Fees*||✔|
|Obtaining Approval from Outside Agencies|
|Payment of Outside Agencies Fee(s)|
|Payment for and submitting Deferred Submittal for:|
|Scheduling and Coordinating Inspections with outside agencies||No||✔|
* If plans are modified application are subject to additional plan review and fees. If there are site specific conditions on your property, please consult a design professional to see if the Town's pre-designed plans can meet the parameters of your site conditions.
GuidElines & Forms
- Permit Guide: Garden Cottage ADU (PDF)
- Garden Cottage Submittal Requirement Checklist (PDF)
- Hold Harmless Form (PDF)
- 2 Bedroom Plan Selection Guide 1000 sq ft (PDF)
- Building Permit Application (PDF)
- How to Plot Plan (PDF)
- Setback Guidelines (PDF)
- Photovoltaic Systems Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Gas Line Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Outside Agency Checklist (PDF)