• Encroachment Permits

  • Any construction activity within the public right of way (streets, sidewalks, drainage ditches, creeks, etc.) or lane closure on a street requires an encroachment permit.

    Encroachment permits may be obtained from the Town of Danville at 510 La Gonda Way weekdays between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm. Permits can generally be issued over the counter same day.

    Examples of activities that would require an encroachment permit include: utility cuts, sewer laterals, concrete work, pools, stockpiling of materials on the street or sidewalk, driving or carrying equipment over the sidewalk for residential construction and/or improvements.

    The Town requires a $179.00 encroachment permit application fee for projects less than $2,000 and 5.5% of the construction cost for projects over $2,001.

    Issuance of and Encroachment Permit does not relieve the permittee of the responsibility to obtain permits that may be required by other agencies.

  •     General Instructions
    1. Work Must Be Inspected - Phone 925-314-3352 at least 48 hours before starting or resuming work. The inspector will answer questions regarding work related issues. Work without inspection may have to be removed or done over again.
    2. Protection - Provide and maintain enough barricades, lights, signs, flaggers and other safety measures to protect the public in conformance with the State of California Manual of Traffic Controls For Construction and Maintenance Work Zones.
    3. Traffic - A Town maintained road may not be closed to public traffic without the approval of the Town Council. While working, keep one 10-foot wide lane open to traffic; at other times, two 10-foot wide lanes shall be open.
    4. Standards - Work shall be in accordance with the Town Ordinance Specifications and Standard Drawings.
    5. Utilities - Utility relocation is the responsibility of the permittee.
    6. Underground Service Alert (USA) - Phone 1-800-227-2600 prior to excavating in road right of way.

        NPDES - Clean Water - Requirements


    1. Schedule excavation and road maintenance activities for dry weather, if feasible. (MUNI-63)

    2. Do not perform major equipment repairs within the public right-of-way. (MUNI-64)

    3. When refueling or maintaining vehicles and equipment off-site, use a location away from storm drain inlets and creeks. (MUNI-65)

    4. Recycle used motor oil, diesel oil, concrete, broken asphalt, etc., whenever possible. (MUNI-66)

    5. Provide proper containment of diesel fuel used to lubricate or clean equipment or parts. (MUNI-67)

    6. Store adequate emergency materials at the job-site (e.g. sandbags, spill kits, etc,) to contain a discharge in the event of mechanical breakdown and pollutants are released to the storm drain system.

    7. Train employees in using these general practices for road repair and maintenance activities. (MUNI-68)


    1. Take measures to protect storm drain inlets prior to breaking up asphalt or concrete (e.g., cover inlets). Clean afterwards by sweeping all related materials. (MUNI-69)

    2. After breaking up old pavement, remove and dispose of properly. (MUNI-70)

    3. During saw-cutting operations, block or berm around storm drain inlets using sandbags or an equivalent filter device, or absorbent materials such as pads, pillows and socks to contain slurry. If slurry enters the storm drain system, have the material removed to the maximum extent practicable. (MUNI-71)

    4. Remove saw-cut slurry (e.g., with a shovel or vacuum) before leaving at the end of the day. (MUNI-72)


    1. No stockpiling of materials in streets, gutter areas or near storm drain inlets or creeks. (MUNI-73)

    2. Protect storm drain openings before applying seal coat, slurry seal, etc. Prevent to the maximum extent practicable material from entering storm drain inlets and sweep up debris. (MUNI-74)

    3. Do not wash excess material from exposed aggregate concrete or similar treatments into an unprotected street or storm drain inlet. Designate an unpaved area for sweeping up and temporarily storing of excess materials. Properly dispose and/or recycle excess materials. (MUNI-75)

    4. Use only as much water as necessary for dust control to avoid runoff. (MUNI-76)

    5. Sweep up as much material as possible and dispose of properly. Only wash down streets if runoff is controlled or contained. (MUNI-77)

    6. Catch drips from parked paving equipment with pans or absorbent material placed under the machines or berm the area around them to the maximum extent practicable. (MUNI-78)

    7. Clean up all spills and leaks from other equipment and work site areas using "dry" methods (absorbent materials and/or rags). Properly dispose of absorbent materials and rags. If spills occur on dirt areas, dig up and remove contaminated soil properly and in a timely manner. (MUNI-79)

    8. Prior to completion of the job, remove stockpiles (asphalt materials, sand, etc.). (MUNI-80)

    9. If it rains unexpectedly, take appropriate action to prevent pollution of Stormwater runoff (e.g., divert runoff around work areas). (MUNI-81)


    1. Store spill absorbent materials on vehicles to be used in the event of a spill. (MUNI-82)

    2. Contain and sweep up waste materials, and dispose of them properly according to the Material Safety Data Sheet. (MUNI-83)

        Standard Requirements - Driveways

    A. The driveway shall not enter a roadway within five feet of existing or planned curb returns; shall not interfere with a legal encroachment or create a hazard or nuisance and shall be spaced to make maximum street parking available.

    B. The driveway is to be sloped to prevent sheet flow from crossing the road and shall not interfere with drainage, cause erosion or deposition of silt. The driveway shall be constructed from the edge of pavement to property line.

    C. Minimum paved driveway construction shall consist of two inches of asphalt concrete pavement on six inches of Class II Aggregate Base within the road right of way. The entire portion of concrete driveways within the road right of way shall consist of a minimum of six inches of Class B concrete over three inches of Class II Aggregate Base.

    D. The driveway elevation at the property line shall be within one foot of the elevation of the near shoulder and shall merge with the shoulder to preserve the roadbed section.

    E. Shape a valley gutter across the driveway to match the flow line of the existing roadside ditch.

    F. Install a culvert for full width of driveway. This culvert is to be laid to the flow line grade of the existing roadside ditch. Only galvanized corrugated steel, corrugated aluminum, reinforced concrete or approved plastic pipe may be used. Installation shall conform to the pipe fabricator’s specifications for loading, cover and backfill requirements.

    G. Minimum concrete driveway construction shall consist of 6” of Class B concrete on three inches of Class II Aggregate Base.

    H. The top elevation of the driveway five feet behind the curb is to be 0.60 feet (7¼ inches) higher than the flow line of the gutter.

    I. If an existing driveway depression is not used, it shall be completely removed (curb, gutter and sidewalk) after making a saw cut at the nearest expansion joint or scoremark and replaced with concrete to conform to adjacent improvements - form board to be used at the gutter lip and the pavement restored with asphalt concrete. Replacement sidewalk and gutter shall be doweled (See Std Plan 110).

    J. All broken curb, gutter and sidewalk to be completely removed by saw cut at the nearest expansion joint or score mark and replaced to true grade and cross section. The replacement curb, gutter and sidewalk shall be doweled (Std Plan 110).

    K. The following template will be used to determine acceptable clearances. The template will be 18'-6" long and have two six-inch projections from its bottom plane, one located three feet and one five feet from an end. This template shall be used to control finish grades.

        Standard Requirements - Sidewalk Drains

    Install a three-inch inside diameter smooth wall, non-corrosive pipe through the curb and sidewalk (see Std Plan 109). For retrofit, saw cut and remove one panel of sidewalk and 1-foot of curb only (do not remove gutter). Pipe flow line shall match gutter flow line and pipe shall be cut off flush with face of curb. Sidewalk concrete shall encase pipe in three-inch concrete jacket. Replace curb, gutter, sidewalk and pavement to match adjacent improvements (Std Plan 110).

        Standard Requirements - Street Cuts

    A.  Trench Excavation - Do not start until pipe and other materials are at the site. Open up only that length of trench which can be backfilled the same day. Shoring shall comply with “Trench Construction Safety Orders” of the California State Industrial Accident Commission. Pavement shall be scored to neat lines and removal shall not cause damage to pavement outside the scored lines. Excess excavated material shall be removed immediately from the site.

    B.  Cross Trench - more than 10 degree angle with the centerline of road or any trench less than 50 feet long in the pavement or within four feet of paved area shall be backfilled with Class II Aggregate Base and the structural section replacement in the paved area.

    C.  Longitudinal Trench - less than 10 degree angle with the centerline of road and greater than 50 feet long in all paved areas including curbs, sidewalks or other concrete shall be backfilled with Class II Aggregate Sub-base (or better material), from the top the top of pipe bedding to the bottom of the replacement structural section. The remaining trench shall be backfilled with the structural replacement in paved areas. In all other areas, longitudinal trenches may be backfilled from the pipe bedding to the ground surface with suitable material from the excavation or better material.

    D.  Compaction - The relative compaction of all trench backfill below the roadway structural sections shall not be less than 90 percent. The structural section shall be compacted to not less than 95 percent. No jetting is allowed under any paved roadway or within a distance of four feet from the edge of existing pavement. Backfill shall be compacted by impact, vibration or any combination of these. Jetting will be allowed only when more than four feet from the pavement and when the backfill and trench are suitable for jetting and shall be supplemented with mechanical compaction in four-foot maximum layers.

    E.  Temporary Paving - Temporary paving (or permanent paving) shall be placed at the end of each work day. Temporary pavement shall be 1½-inch minimum thickness and shall be replaced within four weeks with permanent pavement.

    F.  Base and Pavement Replacement - The roadway structural section shall be replaced as stated in the permit. Otherwise, replacement shall be in kind except that the minimum replacement shall be two inches of asphalt concrete and 16 inches of Class II Aggregate Base.