• Business Licenses

  • Who needs a Business License?

    Any business that generates revenue within the Town of Danville limits needs a business license. Any Danville business that does not have a commercial storefront, office or commercial or industrial location is considered to be a home-based business, even if the sales or services are performed outside the residence. Post office boxes, whether U.S. or private, can only be used as mailing addresses and cannot be registered as commercial locations. Also, rented storage facilities may not be used as your business location.
  •     How to apply for a Business License

    To License a Business in Danville:

    1. Complete a Business License Application Form.
    2. Check to see if you qualify for a Business License Exemption.  If you do not qualify for an exemption, you will be required to submit payment of license fees to the Town of Danville Finance Department, 510 La Gonda Way, Danville CA 94526.
    3. If you will be running a business from a residence, you will also need to complete the Home Occupation Application.
    4. If your business sells tobacco products, you must also complete a Tobacco Retailer form as required by Section 7-6.7 of the Danville Municipal Code.
    5. You are required to renew your Business License yearly.

    Your check or your receipt will be your temporary license until your application has been approved. Upon approval, a Business License certificate will be mailed to Danville store fronts only (approximately 4 weeks from receipt of application). Your certificate should be posted at the place of business so the public can see that you have a business license. Home Based and Out of Town businesses will not be receiving their Business License certificates in the mail any longer, but can gain access through the Citizen Access Portal. 

    All businesses may register for a Citizen Access Portal account to be able to view your business license status, as well as print your Business License certificate and renew. 

    If you need your business license number to start a business checking account, we can give you your license number two business days after receipt of the application and check once it has been approved by the appropriate departments. Please contact the Business License Department at BL-intown@danville.ca.gov or BL-outoftown@danville.ca.gov to obtain that copy or a written confirmation of receipt of business license application.

        Business License Exemptions

    Businesses that are government exempt must complete a business license application and submit documentation from Federal or State showing exemption.  They are exempt from fees.

    After the first year of starting a business, a business is exempt if the gross receipts are less than $10,000.  Upon renewal in June, submit a copy of the federal taxes for the prior year showing gross receipts under $10,000.  (Only the first page is needed.)  Return the renewal invoice with the Federal tax information.


    The following criteria meet the Exemption Status: 



    Forms Required 



    Non-Profit organizations as defined in Section 501 (1), (2) or (3) of the Internal Revenue Code

    IRS or State letter granting exempt status.



    Businesses exempt from local taxation by virtue of the constitution or applicable statutes of the United States or the State of California.

    No form.






    Businesses conducting any entertainment, concert, exhibition or lecture on scientific, historical, literary or charitable subjects within the Town whenever all the gross receipts of any such entertainment, concert, exhibition or lecture are to be appropriated to any church or school or to any charitable purpose within the Town.

    No form. 





    Businesses with annual gross receipts less than $10,000 per year.  New businesses must apply for a license for their first year of business - and may request a fee waiver the following year by submitting federal tax return forms by August 15th following the end of license year.

    Schedule C or appropriate federal tax form.



    Businesses which rent or lease no more than four residential dwelling units to others.

    No form.


        Business License Fees

    All Business serving or conducting business in Danville must have a Business License. This includes: Contractors, Services, or Construction pulling a TOWN OF DANVILLE of permit; and, Vendors of the TOWN OF DANVILLE (Consultants, Services, Instructors, & etc).

    The Yearly License fee is $100 plus $10 per employee per year plus $1 state fee (SB1186).

    If you have part-time workers: count 1 employee = for every 35 hours/week.

    The fiscal year for a business license is July1-June30.

    New businesses that start during the year are prorated as follows:

    • July thru September 100% of license fee plus $1 state fee
    • October thru December 75% of license fee plus $1 state fee
    • January thru March 50% of license fee plus $1 state fee
    • April thru June 25% of license fee plus $1 state fee

    Home businesses must also submit a Home Occupation Application with the Business License Application.

    Yearly fees are due by July 1st. Penalty charges of 25% of billed amount will be assessed on August 1st and interest at 1-1/2% will be added each month after September 1st.

    Additional Charges:

    • $25 Transfer of license or location
    • $25 Lost license/duplicate license
        Closing the Business License

     Business licenses are automatically renewed July 1st each year.

    If you wish to close out your license with the Town of Danville due to your business closing, moving out of town, or a period of inactivity; please submit a request in writing to avoid being charged the renewal fee. 

    Submit your request by email at BL-intown@danville.ca.gov or BL-outoftown@danville.ca.gov

    Or submit your request by mail to: 

    Attn: Business License

    510 La Gonda Way

    Danville, CA 94526

  • Request a Business License Listing

  • The Town will provide a list of current business licenses on file to the public for the cost of $25.00. The list contains the businesses names and addresses.

    To obtain a listing

    1. Submit a Public Record Request to the Finance Department at the Town of Danville.

    2. Pay $25.00

    The list will be in random order and will include all home businesses.
    The list will be of all current Businesses on file with the Town of Danville..

    The List cannot be run for specific dates; Last 30 days only